It was 10 am when we decided we were going to the ISCKON temple. We crazy people make such plans at the last minute and still manage to pull it off, God knows how. Anyway so this plan did involve god, so I'm guessing that was why we were able to pull it off. Before you wonder, ISCKON (International Society for Krishna Consciousness) temple is a huge cultural complex inaugurated in 1997 to carry out the vision of His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada, the Founder-Acarya of ISKCON to promote Vedic culture and spiritual learning. The Radha Krishna shrine is the main attraction in the temple. The beauty of the temple lies in the gold-plated dwajastambha and kalash shikara.
There are also shops under the temple which sell various items related to Krishna like the Bhagvad Gita, pictures of Krishna with yashoda maiyya, and gopiyan and Radha. Sweet lovers have option of buying delicious sweets from the sweet shop.
A little about Krishna
Krishna is the 8th incarnation of supreme God Vishnu in Hinduism. He was born by divine "mental transmission" from the mind of Vasudeva into the womb of Devaki. His Uncle, Kans had received a prophesy that Devakis 8th child would be the reason for his death. And due to that he killed 6 of their children soon after their birth. Upon the birth of Krishna, Vasudeva transfered him to Gokula where he was to be raised by Yasodha and Nanda.
During his youth, he is said to have fallen in love with Radha.
After he overthrows his uncle from the throne, he reinstates Ugrasena as the king of Yadavas. He also played a major role in Mahabharat.
My experience there
- We got there just in time for the darshana(Seeing the god).
- We had to remove our shoes and place it in a bag and hand it over at the shoe counter
- We gave our bags at the bags counter
- Went into the temple, where we saw the god's deity sat in the prayer hall
- We felt immense peace in the hall. We sat there for about 15min. It was a moment of satisfaction and peace
- We took the holy water and put it on our head. My friends drank it
- We went into the commercial center, where all the items related to Krishna were being sold
- Moving past all that, there was sweets and food shops. My friends ate there
- We got out and clicked pictures
- Took the bus back home
Thanks for reading,