Sunday, June 29, 2014

Ayesha's internship experience

In my last college semester I was interning at a company. It didn't fetch me any money but what it did do for me was a lot more. I just want to highlight some of the benefits of an internship at an IT company.

Firstly and most importantly, you get to learn about how a company works. You see how people interact, how office tools work. You get to explore intranet and use many online facilities that wouldn't have been available as a student or wouldn't be very useful when you're working full time and you're overloaded with work. You get to learn to send semi formal emails, send requests etc.


Secondly, you get to learn about the project specific details. You can learn about the technology and platforms and frameworks that are being used. And of course, you understand the work you are doing.


Thirdly, you get to see how a team works in the office. The collaborative efforts that lead to formation of a product can not be seen while sitting in a classroom. A team usually includes some developers, testers, a team lead, manager, architect, and product owners. The learning process requires that all the members of the team cooperate and collaborate in order to give good results.

Fourth, free snacks!!! (Well, that was probably only in the company where I interned) Anyhow, coffee machine is always free and so useful.

Fifth,  you are allowed to make mistakes. One thing that really helped me get comfortable with my team was that they helped me rectify my mistakes. You will not be judged for making mistakes because you are there to learn.



Some of these things I might have experienced because I had a good team. A good team forms a great support system. Even though I went there 2-3 times a week, I felt at home. I want to encourage all college students especially engineering students to have this experience at least once during their college life. It is great to go into a full time job after doing an internship because it always helps to know something before hand. It gives a confidence boost and a positive attitude. What if the internship experience was not good? Well, then you know what not to do!!

Fun at work!

All the best!
Thanks for reading,
XO Ayesha

4 comments:

  1. Hello there! We just discovered your blog and follow you now. May you also like our space: D

    A big hug from all three!
    www.melodiasporescrito.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I awarded you with the sunflower award. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great experience!:) It's so important to get out of our comfort zone and try new things!:)

    www.Lorietta.cz

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was in the IT for 3 years before I left it for further studies :) IT env is awesome if you get a good team..Loved reading your experience n a giveaway on my blog hun...wud love ur participation <3

    ReplyDelete

Your comment makes my day. Thank you for leaving a comment!!